Women, Infant & Children Supplemental Nutrition Program

Native American Mother and Children    Pregnant woman

WIC Services

WIC is an acronym for Women, Infants and Children. This valuable program provides:

  • Nutrition screening, education and counseling to improve eating behaviors and reduce or eliminate nutrition problems
  • Access to preventive health programs and referrals to private and public health providers
  • Benefits to purchase healthy foods at supermarkets across Montana
  • Breastfeeding support and counseling
  • Free breast pumps
  • Benefits for fresh fruits and vegetables at seasonal farmers markets
  • Referrals for dental screening
  • Referrals to other local health and social services


Who Is Eligible?

  • Pregnant women
  • Breastfeeding women (baby under 1 year old)
  • Women with a baby less than 6 months old
  • Infants and children up to 5 years old
  • Women whose pregnancy ended early

Participation in WIC will NOT reduce benefits through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program. You don't have to be enrolled in these or other programs to participate in WIC.


How Do I Qualify?

You must meetstate income guidelines, effective July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022.


What Should I Bring to My Appointment?

Immunization Records: Please bring your child's immunization/shot records to your appointment so we can verify that vaccinations are up to date. This is not a requirement for WIC eligibility, but we highly encourage it.

Proof of Identity(examples)

  • Driver's license
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Green card
  • Social Security card
  • Social services card (HMK Plus, SNAP or TANF)
  • Tribal ID card or tribal enrollment letter
  • Crib card
  • Hospital ID bracelet
  • Immunization card
  • School or work ID card
  • Pay stubs
  • Voter registration card
  • Health insurance card

Proof of Identity for Child (examples)

  • Shot/immunization records
  • Birth certificate/record
  • Foster care/adoption papers
  • Healthy Montana Kids Plus card
  • Social Security card
  • Healthy Montana Kids card
  • Crib card
  • Hospital ID bracelet

Proof of Residence (examples)

  • Mail that includes participant's name and physical address
  • Mortgage statement
  • Rent payment receipt
  • Landlord statement/rental agreement
  • Recent pay stub
  • Recent bank statement
  • Recent credit card statement
  • Driver's license (if address is unchanged)
  • Utility bill (for any service connected to applicant's/participant's physical address, including phone, gas, water, garbage, internet, cable TV)
  • Document from City-County Address Coordinator or designee
  • If none of the above are available, a 3rd-party verifier may be used.

Proof of Household Income for Everyone in Your Household (examples)

  • One month of pay stubs for all employed members of household
  • Proof of adjunctive eligibility (SNAP, HMK Plus, Medicaid, TANF, FDPIR, School Lunch)
  • If self-employed, current ledger sheets
  • If unemployed, current unemployment stubs
  • If military, full month of Leave and Earning Statements
  • Additional income information (child support, unemployment, etc.)


How to Use Your eWIC Benefits?


Nondiscrimination Policy

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write to the USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice).

Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 945-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider.


New! 2023 Farmers Market Nutrition Program Benefits

fruits and vegetables

Lewis and Clark County WIC will be participating in this year's WIC Farmers Market starting July 9th, 2022 until all vouchers are issued. Families have the Farmers Market season to spend the Farmers’ Market benefits, until Saturday, September 24, 2022. This is first come, first serve, as we only have certain amount of vouchers to issue. Individuals aged 4 months and older who are eligible and current on their WIC benefits can receive WIC Farmers Market vouchers of $30.00 to use for local fresh fruits and vegetables. The Farmer’s Market benefits are only issued for the Farmers Market season and not every month. Our WIC office will begin the season on Saturday, July 9th from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Helena’s Farmers Market at Women’s Park, and will continue to issue benefits on most Farmer Market days in Helena and East Helena. Please check out our poster and FAQs for more information. If you have questions please give us a call during open business hours or email us.

LCPH’s WIC program provides nearly 800 local parents and caregivers and their kids with healthy food, nutrition education, and more, to income-eligible parents and caregivers of infants and children up to 5 years old. Many people don’t realize they are eligible! To find out more, please call our WIC program at 406-457-8912