In this project, you will learn a lot about the modern sheep industry either by directly caring for a lamb or by learning about sheep through the achievement program in each level. You may enroll in either a market lamb or breeding project at any level. Youth wishing to enroll in Market Sheep or Breeding Sheep must also be enrolled in Level 1, 2, or 3. If you enroll in the independent study, you must have already completed all three levels of the sheep project and set learning goals for your independent work.
Project Books Required? No
With the current record book change we will offer a record book check at the Healthy Lambs workshop on March 11. We will also offer a project book check at the May workshop
Project books can be purchased here
*** Please note, if you do not attend at least one workshop in your project area during the 4-H year, you will be required to complete activities in your project book and turn it in with your record book. The number of activities required to complete a 4-H year in each project book can be found here.
What needs to be accomplished to move on to level 2?
What needs to be accomplished to move on to level 3?
What needs to be accomplished to move on to the next levels?
Project age limit? 8 and up
- January 10th at 6 pm at the BHB - Show Rite/Hubbard Feed Workshop
- January 13th at 130 pm at the BHB – Selection Workshop
- March 9th at the 130 at the BHB – Healthy Lamb Workshop / Quality Assurance
- April 22nd Possession date April 26th Tagging Forms Due
- May 5 at 1 -2 only for Tagging at the scale house
- Weigh in workshop towards the end of May on a weeknight May TBA in the Scale House Building, behind the Bill Hamilton Building.
- Weigh in workshop in June TBA in the Scale House Building, behind the Bill Hamilton Building.
- We will offer a fitting Clinic for 1st and 2nd year members in June.
- We are also hoping to have a showmanship clinic in June/July. We will cover the basics of showmanship, and what to expect at Fair and in the show ring.
- We are unsure about the May, June and July workshops dates as we have several families including Michelle and I that show all summer and are working out the dates.
More important information for our calendar:
Possession date is April 22
Tagging Forms will be due April 26
Tagging will be May 5 at 10 am at the scale house behind the Bill Hamilton Building.
Project Superintendent Information
Sheep Superintendent: Jana Gruber
Contact: email@example.com or 406-431-5296
Sheep Co-superintendent: Michelle Eckhart
Contact: michelle.eckhart(at)yahoo.com or 406-475-2202
How will you be contacted? Email
Junior Superintendents: Bethany Converse Lane, Zack Eckhart, Rebecca Guber, MacKenzie Velin
2022 4-H MARKET SHEEP TAGGING
Possession date: Sunday, April 23rd, 2023
Tagging form(s) due: Wednesday, May 3rd, 2023 by 5:00 p.m.
Tagging date: Sunday, May 7th, 2023
1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m. Bill Hamilton Building Scale House
Sheep Tagging Form
Sheep power point/video by Jana Gruber
Click HERE for the power point/video
Training Your Lamb Power Point(PDF, 1MB)
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Montana State University and the Montana State University Extension Service prohibit discrimination in all of their programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital and family status. Issued in furtherance of cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Jeff Bader, Director of Extension, Extension Service, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717