Info for Candidates


Offices to be Elected in Lewis and Clark County in 2024

Special District Races

The following special districts have elections coming up in 2024. Candidate filing opens on December 14, 2023 and closes on February 12, 2024 unless otherwise noted. If you have any questions on these districts, please contact our office at (406) 447-8339 and we will assist you with the process. Candidate filing is now closed. If you are interested in a seat on any special district board, please contact our office. The following districts have a competitive election that will be held on May 7, 2024: 

  • Canyon Creek Rural Fire District
  • Tri-Lakes Fire Service Area

School District trustee candidate filing is also open until April 4. The form for that race is found here. If you need to know what school district you reside in, please contact our office at 406-447-8339. You can also file with the school district clerk.

State, County, and Precinct-level Races

Candidate filing for State races and County races has closed. Write-In candidates have until April 1 to file using this form.

  • State Legislators and Federal candidates must file with the Montana Secretary of State's Office.
  • Lewis and Clark County will have three county-wide races on the ballot in 2024: County Commissioner for District #1, Clerk of District Court, and Justice of the Peace.
  • Lewis and Clark Soil Conservation District can file using the form here.
  • Precinct-Level races can file using the form here. Note that you must be a resident of the precinct you wish to represent and that our precinct numbers have recently changed. You can find your new precinct number in the My Voter Page under "Voter Registration Details" and "Precinct Name". 
  • If you have any questions currently, please contact our office at 406-447-8339 or



Campaign Regulations & Campaign Finance

The Commissioner of Political Practices enforces campaign finance and campaign practice laws. For more information about campaign practices, finances, and related reports, visit the Commissioner of Political Practices' website.

Some candidates are required to file statements of candidacy with the Commissioner of Political Practices. Click here to view instructions the COPP office provides on how to file the C1 or C1A statement of candidacy on CERS.(PDF, 156KB)

Political Sign Regulations

In the City of Helena political signs are regulated by city ordinance and cannot be placed on city property or on public rights-of-way, including boulevards between the sidewalk and street. The Helena Community Development Department has some information about sign regulations(PDF, 84KB). If you have questions or would like to report a violation, contact Elroy Golemon at 406-447-8448.

In the State of Montana the Montana Department of Transportation regulates political sign placement on interstate highways in accordance with Administrative Rule 18.6.246. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the Right of Way Bureau at 406-444-6068.

If you have a complaint about a political sign that is not in Helena City limits or along the interstate, we recommend you contact the candidate or candidate's political party directly. If you are not sure how to contact the candidate or candidate's party, please call us at 406-447-8339 or email us at for assistance.