Offices to be Elected in Lewis and Clark County in 2024
Special District Races
The following special districts have elections coming up in 2024. Candidate filing opens on December 14, 2023, and closes on February 12, 2024 unless otherwise noted. If you have any questions on these districts, please contact our office at (406) 447-8339 and we will assist you with the process. The form for candidate filing can be found here.
- Upper Blackfoot Community Council
- Augusta Volunteer Fire District
- Baxendale Volunteer Fire District
- Birdseye Rural Fire District
- Canyon Creek Rural Fire District
- East Helena Volunteer Fire District
- Eastgate Volunteer Fire District
- Lincoln Fire District
- Marysville Volunteer Fire District
- West Valley Fire Rescue
- Augusta Fire Service Area
- Tri-Lakes Fire Service Area
- Wolf Creek/Craig Fire Service Area
- York Fire Service Area
- Lincoln Hospital District
- Helena Valley Irrigation District (Filing opened on November 3, 2023 and closes on January 2, 2024)
- Treasure State Acres Park District
- Lincoln/Lewis & Clark Sewer District
- Treasure State Acres Sewer District
- Northstar Water/Sewer District
- Ranchview Water/Sewer District
- Augusta Community Water/Sewer District
- Bridge Creek Estates Water/Sewer District
- Craig Water/Sewer District
- East Canyon Ferry Water/Sewer District
- East Clark St. Water/Sewer District
- La Casa Grande Water/Sewer District
- Rimini Community Water/Sewer District
- Ten Mile Creek Estates Water/Sewer District
- West Canyon Ferry Water/Sewer District
- Wolf Creek Water/Sewer District
- Lewis and Clark Soil Conservation District (If competitive, this race appears on the November 2024 ballot)
School District trustee candidate filing is also open. The form for that is found here. If you need to know what school district you reside in, please contact our office at 406-447-8339. You can also file with the school district clerk.
State, County, and Precinct-level Races
Candidate filing for State races and County races opens January 11, 2024, and closes March 11, 2024.
- State Legislators and Federal candidates must file with the Montana Secretary of State's Office.
- Lewis and Clark County will have three county-wide races on the ballot in 2024: County Commissioner for District #1, Clerk of District Court, and Justice of the Peace. Please file for these races using the form here. Note that you must be a resident of County Commissioner District #1 to be eligible to file for that race.
- Precinct-Level races can file using the form here. Note that you must be a resident of the precinct you wish to represent and that our precinct numbers have recently changed. You can find your new precinct number in the My Voter Page under "Voter Registration Details" and "Precinct Name".
- If you have any questions currently, please contact our office at 406-447-8339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Commissioner of Political Practices enforces campaign finance and campaign practice laws. For more information about campaign practices, finances, and related reports, visit the Commissioner of Political Practices' website.
Some candidates are required to file statements of candidacy with the Commissioner of Political Practices. Click here to view instructions the COPP office provides on how to file the C1 or C1A statement of candidacy on CERS.(PDF, 156KB)
In the City of Helena political signs are regulated by city ordinance and cannot be placed on city property or on public rights-of-way, including boulevards between the sidewalk and street. The Helena Community Development Department has some information about sign regulations(PDF, 84KB). If you have questions or would like to report a violation, contact Elroy Golemon at 406-447-8448.
In the State of Montana the Montana Department of Transportation regulates political sign placement on interstate highways in accordance with Administrative Rule 18.6.246. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the Right of Way Bureau at 406-444-6068.
If you have a complaint about a political sign that is not in Helena City limits or along the interstate, we recommend you contact the candidate or candidate's political party directly. If you are not sure how to contact the candidate or candidate's party, please call us at 406-447-8339 or email us at email@example.com for assistance.