CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT
APPLICATION INSTRUCTION SHEET
MCA 45-8-315 through 45-8-329
APPOINTMENTS REQUIRED FOR NEW AND RENEWALS:
CALL Pamela Wegner at 447-8259
Conditions to be met:
1. U. S. Citizen
2. 18 years or older
3. Must have Montana Driver's License or other picture I.D. issued by the State of Montana.
4. Must be a resident of the state of Montana for 6 months or more.
5. Must show proof of hunters' safety education or approved firearms safety training course or DD214.
Duplicate Hunters Education Certificates can be printed from the Fish Wildlife and Parks website: www.fwp.mt.gov
6. Must properly fill out application form and sign in Sheriff's presence or his designee.
7. Application must be accompanied by $50.00 ($25.00 for renewal).
8. Must be fingerprinted. Instructions on how to do this will be given to you at your appointment.
9. CHANGE OF COUNTY RESIDENCY: Applicant, if granted a license, must within 10 days inform Sheriff and Chief of Police of both counties if county residence is changed.
10. RENEWALS: MCA 45-8-322(3) states in part: "The permit must be renewed for additional 4-year periods upon payment of a $25 fee per renewal and upon request for renewal made within 90 days before expiration of the permit.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE APPLICATION -- DO NOT SIGN OR DATE IT -- YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIGN THE APPLICATION IN THE PRESENCE OF THE SHERIFF'S ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT.
CHECK, CASH OR MONEY ORDER PREFERRED
PLEASE BRING CORRECT CHANGE IF CASH IS USED
Appointment required: Call 447-8259
Sheriff's Civil Division
406 Fuller AVE. Helena 59601
Replacement of a lost permit will be treated as a renewal and will cost $25.00.
For further information please visit the State of Montana website www.doj.mt.gov and https://dojmt.gov/features/frequently-asked-firearms-questions/
The following are links to the Montana Code Annotated dealing with Concealed Weapons:
- 45-8-315. Definition
- 45-8-316. Carrying concealed weapons
- 45-8-317. Exceptions
- 45-8-321. Permit to carry concealed weapon
- 45-8-323. Denial of renewal -- revocation of permit
- 45-8-324. Appeal
- 45-8-325. Permittee change of county of residence -- notification to sheriffs and chief of police
- 45-8-326. Immunity from liability
- 45-8-327. Carrying a concealed weapon while under the influence
- 45-8-328. Carrying concealed weapon in prohibited place -- penalty
- 45-8-329. Concealed weapon permits from other states recognized -- advisory council
- 45-8-330. (Temporary) Exemption of concealed weapon permittee from federal handgun purchase background check and waiting period
Other Links of Interest