Rural Improvement Districts
The Lewis and Clark County Public Works Department maintains approximately 550 miles of roads. County tax dollars pay for maintenance on high traffic roads or those that collect traffic from large areas. As with many large, primarily rural Montana counties, there is not enough funding to maintain all public roads, many of which only benefit a few properties. One option for road and other public works improvements and maintenance is to create a Rural Improvement District (RID). A RID is a legal taxing authority that can raise funds in specific areas for specific improvements and on-going maintenance.
- Citizen, developer or County-initiated.
- Paid for by an annual property tax assessment.
- Very specific: funds cannot be used for anything other than what is indicated in the RID resolution, for the area it applies to.
RIDs allow residents of Lewis and Clark County to finance, construct and maintain improvements for the following:
- Existing road beds and surfacing;
- Ancillary road features such as turnouts for mailboxes and school busses, sidewalks, culverts, curb and gutters;
- Grading, re-grading, dust control and vegetation management;
- Storm water systems;
- Fire suppression systems;
- Flood control systems;
- Public parks, trails and open space lands.
Rural Improvement District Resolutions
For copies of the official Resolution documents, please visit the Lewis and Clark County Clerk and Recorders office located in Room 113 of the City-County Building; 316 North Park Avenue, Helena, MT.
46 Degrees North Fire System 2017-2
Big Valley - Cabin Road 2015-2
Canyon Ferry Crossing Fire System 2017-8
Countryside Road 2021
Flood Water Detention Pond 2019-07
Frontier Village Estates 2011-4
Frontier Village Fire System 2016-4
Harvest Acres Minor Road 2019-01
Harvest Acres Minor Fire 2019-02
Helena Valley Flood Mitigation
Red Fox Meadow Fire System 2019-06
Red Fox Meadow Storm Water 2019-04
Saddle Rock Fire System 2016-2
Wild Wind/Half Fast 2021
Wheat Ridge Estates, Phase III 2018-02
Woodlawn Service Connection 2008-3