This page provides road, bridge and infrastructure project updates Lewis and Clark County is responsible for.
State of Montana project updates are found here: Montana Department of Transportation Projects
Construction Project Contact Information
Lewis Street and Lake Helena Drive intersection improvement project
- Construction has begun on Lake Helena Drive and Lewis Street next to the Eastgate Elementary School just outside the East Helena City limits. It is scheduled to be complete the first half of August.
- This is a Lewis and Clark County project designed to fix drainage issues and level out the large dip in the intersection.
- Construction Contractor is Bullock Contracting.
- Work will typically be done between 7 am and 7 pm and crews may work some weekends.
- Expect delays of 15-20 minutes when traveling through the work zone.
- Detours will be posted, please obey all speed limits, signs and traffic control workers.
Updates: The Lake Helena work area will be closed to traffic starting Tuesday, July 15 through the end of the week. Detours will be posted.
Background: The Lewis Street/Lake Helena Drive intersection improvement project is funded through HB473 BARSAA funds. Morrison-Maierle is the consultant engineer. The purpose is to address the large drain dip and to reduce or eliminate localized ponding from melting snow and spring runoff. The work consists of road and ditch grading, installation of pipe culverts and a storm drain system, placement of a crushed base, new concrete sidewalk, valley gutter, curb and gutter, asphalt pavement and pavement markings. The project is coordinated with Montana Department of Transportation to accommodate a planned pedestrian trail between Eastgate Elementary and East Valley Middle School.
Road Re-surfacing in North Helena Valley
The update for schedule as of Tuesday (7/16/19) morning is listed below.
Lewis and Clark County will be doing road-resurfacing projects in the North Helena Valley July 9-25. The following roads will be resurfaced:
· Masonic Home Road to Collins Drive: Done
· Mill Road: Done
· Forestvale Road: 7/16/19
· John G. Mine Road: 7/18/19
· Applegate Drive
· Norris Road: 7/17/19
· Williams Street
Delays may be up to 40 minutes but efforts will be made to keep traffic moving and impacts to business minimized.
The public is asked to obey all signage and flaggers.
Trap Club Flood Mitigation Project
- Construction will begin summer 2019.
- Project construction cost: $1.9 million.
- The project will include installation of fourteen culverts, construction of a diversion and turnout into the Trap Club pit, and lowering and widening of roadside ditches along Sierra Road between North Montana and Interstate 15.
- The project is funded through a FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant, Lewis and Clark County and the Flood Mitigation Rural Improvement District.