Helena – The installation of security equipment at the Lewis and Clark County Courthouse is complete and implementation of security procedures will begin November 4, 2020.
The public can expect the following:
- The east door across the street from the Myrna Loy will be the only main public entrance. The ADA-compliant entrance is still the west door that leads to the basement.
- Everyone will be required to walk through a metal detector and have any baggage passed through a scanning machine. The scanning machine not only detects metal, but illegal narcotics and explosive materials as well.
- Persons requiring ADA access or accommodations will be allowed to ride the elevator to the first floor where their baggage will be screened and a security officer will use a wand to screen them for weapons.
- Any persons that have in their possession a prohibited but legal item will be asked to store the item in their vehicle prior to entering the courthouse. They must be screened upon returning from their vehicle.
- Any persons that have in their possession an illegal prohibited item will be subject to criminal prosecution.
Prohibited items include:
- Knives of any kind
- Tear gas
- Pepper spray of any kind
- Any animal repellent
- Firearms of any kind
- Ammunition of any kind
- Tools of any kind (unless an authorized maintenance worker or contractor for the courthouse)
- Miscellaneous sharp items (knitting needles, and crochet hooks)
- Glass containers
- Any flammable substance
- Butane fuel
- Laser pointers
- Handcuffs or restraints (Unless authorized)
- Excess clothing beyond what is reasonable for personal use and current weather conditions.
- Any illegal drugs or paraphernalia.
- Any prescription drugs not prescribed to you.
Media Contact: Jeni Garcin, Communications Coordinator, 208-961-0349, jgarcin(at)lccountymt.gov