Apply to be a 4-H Volunteer
Who Can Be A Volunteer?
Anyone over 18 years of age who completes the 4-H Volunteer Certification Process below can work one-on-one with youth and be recognized as a certified 4-H volunteer. BUT you don't need to be certified to volunteer with us or help our leaders out! Call the extension office if you have any questions.
Re-Enrolling As A Volunteer
If you are re-enrolling as a Lewis and Clark County 4-H Volunteer, please complete the form below online by December 31st.
If a full year has gone by without re-enrolling, you will be required to go through the full enrollment process again, including a background check.
The Process of Applying As A New Volunteer
Fill out the following form (you can fill them out online and e-mail/print them, or print them and fill them out with a pen)
We will enroll you in 4-H Online and use Verified Volunteers to run a background check
Staff at the Montana 4-H Center will review results of the background check and any applicant disclosures.
- If your background screening is clear, you will be approved on 4-H online
- If your background screening is not clear, and/or you disclosed information on your application, the Montana 4-H Center conducts a reference check, and approves/rejects the applicant based on the background check and the references. Applicants may be approved with restrictions, which will be outlined in the acceptance letter sent by the 4-H State Office.
- If you are not approved in a timely manner, this may be because:
- The above steps were not completed.
- Incomplete information was received.
Upon approval of your Verified Volunteers background screening, your 4HOnline profile will be activated.
- Review your profile for accuracy or to make any changes.
- Once all profile information is current and correct under the Personal Information, Additional Information, and Participation areas of enrollment select [Submit Enrollment]
Your enrollment status on 4HOnline will be displayed as "Pending" until the Extension Office confirms your membership.
- Prior to confirming your membership you will need to pay a $10 enrollment fee online, in person, or by mail
- Checks should be made out to Lewis & Clark County 4-H Council
- Checks/cash can be mailed or dropped off at 100 West Custer Ave, Helena, MT 59602
- You will be notified of professional development opportunities throughout the year. In the meantime, please take a look at the 4-H Volunteer Orientation Factsheet
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Montana State University and the Montana State University Extension Service prohibit discrimination in all of their programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital and family status. Issued in furtherance of cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Jeff Bader, Director of Extension, Extension Service, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717