1. Pre-identify your Evacuation Assembly Area
2. Have a "go-kit" ready to take with you if you have to evacuate.
3. Check-in with authorities at your Evacuation Assembly Area to let them know you have evacuated.
Volunteers will be on-site to:
- Mark you down in the Red Cross Safe and Well website
- Add your name and address to a roster.
- Provide shelter options if needed.
1. If any family member has heart or lung disease, including asthma, check with your doctor about what you should do during smoke events. Have a plan to manage your condition.
2. Stock up so you don't have to go out when it's smoky. Have several days of medications on hand. Buy groceries that do not need to be refrigerated or cooked because cooking can add to indoor air pollution.
3. Create a "clean room" in your home. Choose a room with no fireplace and as few windows and doors as possible, such as a bedroom. Use a portable clean air cleaner in the room.
4. Buy a portable air cleaner before there is a smoke event. Make sure it has high efficiency HEPA filters and it is the right size for the room.
5. Know how you will get alerts and health warnings, including air quality reports, public service announcements (PSAs), and social media warning you about high fire risk or an active fire.
6. Ask an air conditioning professional what kind of high efficiency filters to use in your home's system and how to close the fresh-air intake if your central air system or room air conditioner has one.
7. Have a respirator mask and learn how to use it. Choose a mask called a "particulate respirator" that has the word "NIOSH" and either "N95" or "P100" printed on it. They are sold at many hardware and home improvement stores, online and pharmacies.
8. Organize your important items ahead of time, including financial and personal documents. Know your evacuation routes and where to go if you have to evacuate. make sure to prepare your children, and consider your pets when making an evacuation plan.
- InciWeb (fire information)
- Lewis and Clark Public Health Air Quality Information
- Today's Air (Montana DEQ)