2019 Fire Information
Residents surrounding the North Hills burn scar area in the Helena valley should be monitoring changing weather conditions starting Friday, September 27, 2019, with potential for flooding through the weekend.
This summer’s wildfire resulted in a loss of vegetation and left the ground charred and unable to absorb water, creating conditions for flash flooding and possibly debris flows. Debris flows are fast-moving, powerful mixtures of mud, rocks and trees.
The National Weather Service (NWS) Great Falls Office is predicting rainy conditions Friday, likely changing to snow on Saturday, September 28 through Sunday, September 29. This change from rain to snow has led the NWS Great Falls to issue a Winter Storm Watch.
For more information on emergency and flood preparedness, visit www.ready.gov.
Stay up-to-date on the NWS Great Falls alerts at https://www.weather.gov/tfx/
Nevada Creek Fires Update
August 12, 2019
Continue to monitor the InciWeb links for updates: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6502/
August 9, 2019
The Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's office has lifted the evacuation order for Flesher Acres that was put in place due to the Horsefly Fire. Residents could return home at 8:00 PM today.
August 8, 2019
There will be a public meeting on Friday, August 9, 2019, at 7:00 PM at the Canyon Creek Volunteer Fire Department for the Horsefly Fire. The address is 7560 Duffy Lane in Canyon Creek.
The Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's office evacuations of the Flesher Acres area remain in place. For more information, call the Horsefly Fire information line at 406-458-4992. The fire is at 1,335 acres today. Continue to check InciWeb for updates.
August 7, 2019
The Horsefly InciWeb link is here: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6502/ This page has the official fire updates. There are no public meetings scheduled at this time but the need for one will be re-evaluated daily.
August 5, 2019
Horsefly Fire: The Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's Department has ordered an evacuation for Flesher Acres. This is all residences on Flesher Acres Rd., Flesher Pass Rd., Ponderosa Dr., Lincoln Rd. W., Paintbrush Ln., Paintbrush Dr., and Alpine Ln.
A shelter has been placed on standby at the Helena 1st Assembly of God Church located at 2210 Dodge Avenue. If you need to be provided with a shelter at this location call 1-800-272-6668 and a Red Cross representative will open the facility.
For further information regarding the fire please call 458-4992.
North Hills Fire Updates
Here is today's update on InciWeb.
The Lewis and Clark County Sheriff’s office is lifting the remaining North Hills fire evacuation orders today at noon for residents. The roads will be open to public areas, including White Sandy campground and Black Sandy State Park at 7 PM tonight, but please check with individual campgrounds for hours of operation. All Forest Service and BLM area closures remain in place until further notice.
Firefighters, personnel and equipment remain in these areas. The public should exercise extreme caution when returning home or recreating so crews can safely continue to work. Do not enter burn areas as hazards may be present.
For information on White Sandy Campground, call 406-533-7600.
For information on Black Sandy State Park, call 406-495-3270.
For North Hills Fire information call 406-458-3508 or continue to check InciWeb at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6464/
The Lewis and Clark County Sheriff’s office is allowing residents back into their homes at noon today in the following areas:
American Bar Subdivision
Eldorado Heights Subdivision
Everything south of North Slope Road and Overland Road
On or South of Overland Road
On or south of North Slope Road
The following are still under evacuation:
Snowdrift Road East of Ferry Drive
Tea Road East of Ferry Drive
Big Belt Drive
Black Sandy Loop
Timber Trail North of Overland Road
Black Sandy Campground
White Sandy Campground
No access will be allowed to the general public at this time in any of these areas. Road blocks will remain in place at various locations.
The Sheriff’s office will notify the public when the remaining evacuations are lifted.
The public may call the North Hills Fire information line at 406-458-3508 with questions.
We thank the public for their support and patience.
July 29, 2019
- There will be another public meeting tomorrow night at the Helena Valley Community Center at 7:00 PM. The Lewis and Clark Emergency Management Facebook page will do another Facebook Live feed.
- The email address to use for more information is email@example.com.
- There will be a Facebook Live feed on the Lewis and Clark County Emergency Management Facebook page and the Montana DNRC Facebook page. The meeting is at 6:00 PM at the Helena Valley Community Center at 2552 Tizer Road.
- The YMCA at 1200 N. Last Chance Gulch has opened shower facilities to those who may need it due to the fire.
- The Red Cross Opened the shelter officially last night at 7 pm at the First Assembly of God Church, 2210 Dodge Avenue.
- The public meeting will be at 6:00 PM tonight at the Helena Valley Community Center at 3552 Tizer Road. It is across from Warren School and has more room.
The latest report we have is that as of last nights infrared flight, no structures have been lost. Please know that can always change and we will keep you updated as we have information. An update will be coming out this morning, please stay posted.
The fire was mapped at approximately 4200 acres.
- Please continue to check Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6464/ and the Lewis and Clark Emergency Management Facebook page for updates.
July 28, 2019
- Here is the most recent map of the Evacuation Areas and fire perimeter.
- Thanks to all the generous donations of water and Gatorade. They now have more than enough. To make monetary donations, see the 11:30 AM post below. Thanks to everyone for the support!
- Officials are getting lots of questions about returning to residences. THE EVACUATION ORDERS HAVE NOT BEEN LIFTED and they don't expect to be able to even consider it for at least another 24 hours. Please do not go back to your homes if you have left. While no structures have been lost, the fire is still threatening many.
- For folks wishing to make monetary donations or donate from out of state, they can send it to Eric Dowell at Helena Safeway, 611 N. Montana Ave., Helena, MT 59601. They are currently checking as to whether they are able to do credit card payments over the phone with all the recent fraud activity. Eric is a member of the Fire Council and all money will go directly to the Council to distribute to the volunteer fire departments.
- Bob Drake, Tri-Lakes Fire Chief has confirmed as of 7:30 am this morning there appears to have been no lost structrures.
- Water and Gatorade donations can be dropped off to the Tri-Lakes Fire Station #2 by Lakeside at 5290 York Rd. Just drop it off by the building or there should be people there to accept it around 10 am. Thank you!
- The Sheriff's office has said the Beaver Creek, Sweats Gulch and Soup Creek Campgrounds are currently closed.
July 27, 2019
- The most recent fire information has been posted on Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6464/
- The Sheriff has ordered more evacuations. They are currently evacuating American Bar and the Eldorado Heights Subdivision. The fire is descending on Black Sandy Loop and they are preparing in case the fire jumps the river.
- Contact the Elkhorn COAD if you can assist displaced residents or wish to donate. The number to call is 442-8244 (Salvation Army), or you can call the Red Cross at 1-800-272-6668.
- Sign up for Smart 911 to receive emergency alerts for your area: https://www.lccountymt.gov/des/emergency-notification-system.html
- The North Hills Fire has been posted on Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6464/
- For information call the DNRC at 406-458-3508
- The evacuation zone for the North Hills Fire has been expanded. All residents on the west side of Hauser Dam Rd., south of the original line just south of Snowdrift Rd., and north east of the new line drawn are encouraged to evacuate at this time. Map
- There will be a public meeting on Saturday at Warren School, 2690 York Road, for updates on the North Hills Fire. The meeting is planned for 6 PM.
- First Assembly of God Church, 2210 Dodge Avenue, is an available shelter for anybody needing assistance.
July 26, 2019:
Current Countywide Burning Status:
Burning is currently prohibited across the entire county.
Reason: Burning season is closed
Visit https://firerestrictions.us/mt/ for more information.
- Disaster & Emergency Services: 406-447-8285
Public Information Hotline: 406-447-1605
- Environmental Health: 406-447-8351
- Public Health: 406-457-8900
Food Safety, Shelter Inspections, Disease Control
- Public Works: 406-447-8037
Road Repair, Bridge Repair, Culverts
- Sheriff's Office: 406-457-8235 (non-emergencies)
Evacuation, Traffic Control, Road Closures
- Elkhorn Community Organizations Active in Disasters (COAD): 406-442-8244
Cleanup, Donations, Food, Shelter, Animal Care
- Montana 2-1-1: 2-1-1, montana211.org
Mental Health, Food, Legal Services, Disability Services, Senior Services, Shelter, Medical Service
- Lewis and Clark Rural Fire Council