Community Development and Planning
Rural Improvement District Creation:
The creation of a Rural Improvement District is regulated by both Montana State Statute (Title 7, Chapter 12, Part 21) and guided by County Rural Improvement District Policy and Procedures (established in 1996), as a mechanism to help property owners self-fund various projects provided for in the statute.
The Special Districts Coordinator will assist residents in creating Rural Improvement Districts: Creating Petitions, Resolutions, Notices, Cost Estimates, Informational Meetings, and Coordinating County Departments
The Board of County Commissioners has statutory authority to create a District using the statutes set forth in Montana Code Annotated.
County Policy requires the proponents of the district to circulate a petition and acquire signatures representing 60% of the lots, tracts or parcels to be included within the proposed district.
Petition must include:
- Desired level of service to be performed by the District
- County Public Works will assist with cost estimates
- Properties benefiting from improvements/maintenance (to be included within the boundaries of the proposed District)
- Estimated cost of improvement/maintenance for each lot, tract or parcel
After the Petition is submitted:
- Special Districts Coordinator will verify the petition for accuracy and content
- A Resolution of Intention (unless all property owners sign petition) will be submitted to the Commission for consideration
- If the Commission declares their intent to create the district, a protest period is held for a period of not less than 30 days
- Protest may be submitted according to statute 7-12-2109
Action after Insufficient Protest to bar Proceedings:
- Public Hearing before Board of County Commissioners
- Resolution of Creation is presented to the Commission for their consideration
If Commission Creates District:
- A Public Hearing is held on the proposed Levying and Assessing of properties within the District
- A Resolution to Levy and Assess is presented and considered by the Commission
Community Development and Planning Contact Information
Community Development and Planning Department
Room 230, City/County Building
316 N. Park Ave., Helena, MT 59623
Department Phone: (406) 447-8374
Department Email: Email
Hours: 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.