The Lewis and Clark County Detention Center, located at the Law Enforcement Center, is located at 221 Breckenridge Ave. in Helena Montana. Renovations made in order to house more inmates were completed in spring 2021.
Current inmate roster is linked below.
Law and Justice Center
The Law and Justice Center is located at 406 Fuller Ave, the former Blue Cross Blue Shield building. It houses the Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's Office, Helena Police Department, Helena Municipal Court, Pre-Trial Services, 24x7 Program.
Photos of Renovation
November 2020(PDF, 402KB)
July 2020(PDF, 1MB)
June 2020(PDF, 3MB)
May 2020(PDF, 3MB)
January 2020(PDF, 670KB)
April 2019(PDF, 1MB)
March 2019(PDF, 3MB)
If you are sending a cashier’s/bank check or money order to put on an inmate’s account, please do the following:
- The cashier’s/bank check or money order must be made out to “LCSO” (no personal checks accepted)
- The inmate’s first and last name must be printed legibly on the bottom of the check on the “memo” line
- The check or money order only must be mailed to LCSO, c/o Jolene Grieve, 406 Fuller Ave., Helena, MT 59601
- Your complete name and return address must appear on the front of the envelope
- Do not include any personal mail with the check
- The money will be put on the inmate’s account from this location only
A credit card can be used to add funds to an inmate’s commissary account at correctpay.com.
- You will need to set up an account on the site before depositing funds.
- After setting up an account, select the state, facility, and inmate you want to add funds to.
- Credit Card deposits have a $4 deposit fee, plus 4% of the funding to cover credit card processing fees.
- You can also purchase gift baskets for an inmate directly from the website to be delivered to the inmate during the next scheduled commissary delivery (some baskets are restricted to certain housing areas)
You can deposit funds with cash or credit card in person on the lobby kiosk at the detention center.
- There will be a $4 funding fee for each transaction for cash deposits.
- There will be a $4 funding fee, plus 4% of the transaction to cover credit card processing fees, for all credit card deposits.
- You can also purchase gift baskets for an inmate on the lobby kiosk to be delivered to the inmate during the next scheduled commissary delivery (some baskets are restricted to certain housing areas)
Payroll and Government checks are the only checks that can be mailed into the facility.
In an effort to keep contraband out of the Lewis and Clark County Detention Center, the Lewis and Clark County Sheriff’s Office is implementing a new system for sending documents, photos and mail to inmates.
If you wish to send documents, photos and mail to inmates, we now have a quicker and more efficient method using our new Inmate Messaging system where you just go to www.NCIC.com and set up an account. You can then easily send messages to an inmate for instant delivery. You can also take a picture of any documents and attach to these messages. Messages are only $0.25 per messages and picture messages / documents are only $0.35 per picture. This is much cheaper than postage, envelopes and the time it takes to mail a letter and the inmate will receive the message and/or picture instantly. There are no limits on how many messages and photos that can be sent to inmates.
Starting July 1, 2023, all inmate mail, EXCEPT for legal and medical mail, must be mailed to the following address, PO Box 591, Longview, Texas 75606, utilizing existing Lewis and Clark County Detention Center mail rules.
All legal and medical mail must be mailed to the Lewis and Clark County Detention Center, 221 Breckenridge Ave, Helena, MT 59601. “WARNING” Any mail that is sent to PO Box 591, Longview, Texas 75606 for processing will NOT be returned or released. Once the mail is processed and received electronically by the inmate it will be destroyed. This includes pictures or anything else mailed to the processing facility. By sending the mail to PO Box 591, Longview, Texas 75606 you agree to the items being destroyed and understand that anything you mail to PO Box 591, Longview, Texas 75606 will not be returned or reimbursed for. No legal or medical mail will be accepted.
Please address your mail with the following:
Lewis and Clark County Detention Center
PO BOX 591
Longview, Texas 75606
- All envelopes and mail must include the inmate’s name and Sheriff’s Office/booking/identifying number as well as a return address. Only mail that is within 8.5 inches wide x 11 inches tall will be accepted.
- Mail sent to inmates must contain NO MORE THAN 5 PAGES. Anything that is over 5 pages will NOT be scanned and sent to the inmate and will be returned to the sender.
- All mail that is scanned into the system will be scanned front side only. DO NOT write on the back of pages. Any mail with writing on the back will be returned to sender.
- Inmates may receive a maximum of 1 photo per mailing. If more than 1 photo is mailed, the entire letter and all its contents will all be returned to sender and nothing will be scanned in or delivered to the inmate.
- No legal or medical mail will be accepted. Legal and medical mail must be sent to the facility where the inmate is housed following the Lewis and Clark County Sheriff’s Office Mail Guidelines.
- No magazines, newspapers, bulk mail or books will be accepted at PO Box 591, Longview, Texas 75606 and will be returned to sender. These items must be sent to the facility where the inmate is housed following the Lewis and Clark County Sheriff’s Office Mail Guidelines.
- Inmates can securely view it on the kiosks or tablets within the Facility. Once the mail is received for processing it will be scanned in at the central processing location and then will be sent to the inmate electronically via the same messaging system referenced above and the inmate can then view it on the kiosks or tablets in their living areas. There will be no exceptions for receiving mail that does follow the above guidelines.
Prisoner Extraditions and Transports
The transport staff consists of one Transport and Extradition Coordinator and one Transport Officer. The transport division is responsible for coordinating prisoner transports in and out of the Lewis and Clark County Detention Center and extraditions in and out of state. The division handles all prisoner transports to and from The Montana State Prison, Montana State Women's Prison, Montana State Hospital, Department of Corrections facilities, state-wide detention facilities and all inmate medical appointments.
The average number of transports per year is 400 prisoners, 150 medical, 80 mental health and 30 extraditions.
** Notice **
The request form that an inmate is required to turn in MUST include a complete name, address and date of birth for everyone they intend to visit.
Normal visitation is available on Saturday, Sunday and holidays from the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. On those days visitation is stopped for meals between the hours on 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Inmates will be allowed only one (1) twenty (20) minute visit per day. Picture identification of the visitor will be required.
- The visitor must be eighteen (18) years old or older.
- If they are under eighteen (18) years of age and are an immediate family member, they may visit but must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Inmates are required to fill out a visitor request form listing those who they wish to have visits with, which is turned into the detention center staff.
Any visitor who is intoxicated, disrespectful or acts unruly will be turned away and may be banned from further visits. Special visits or extended visits will not be allowed unless approval is granted by the Detention Captain or Sergeant.
Visits between inmates and attorneys will be reasonable and will not be limited as to frequency but are requested to be held during the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The privilege of attorney-client communication shall always be respected by the detention staff.
The only things that may be bought to the detention center are a full book of stamps, medication and cash. Cash brought to the detention center must be deposited on the KIOSK in the public area and will be credited to the inmates’ commissary account. Money can also be added to an account using www.ncic.com (cannot be accessed immediately). A fee applies to any money added. When using any service, you will need the 5-digit permanent ID number of the inmate. The detention center will not accept personal checks. Please refer to the Inmate Accounting tab regarding cashier’s/bank checks, and money orders. We will still allow government checks and payroll checks.
All video visitations are approved by staff once you, as a friend or family member, request a visit and supplies the necessary identification. These requests are done through www.ncic.com. Friends and family can come to the lobby of the detention center for Lobby Video Visitation. From the lobby, visitation is free and can be done 7 days a week except during lockdown hours. Lockdown hours may vary depending on the inmate housing. Visits are limited to one 30-minute call in a 12-hour period. Video visitation in the pod is charged to you, as the friend or family member, and is limited to 15-minutes. Those are not limited in number per day but must not take place during any lockdown hours. If there is a “no-contact order” in place, you will be violating a court order if either party engages in communication.
Prepaid Calling Services
NCIC Inmate Communications offers Prepaid Calling Service allowing incarcerated persons at Lewis and Clark County to stay in contact with loved ones. No incoming calls can be received except for voicemail messages to approved inmates. Each inmate will be given access to the telephone upon the completion of the booking process. Telephones for private use are located in each housing area.
Inmate calls (local and long distance) are billed at a per-minute rate, with no connection fees. International calls are also billed at a per-minute rate. Three-way calls are prohibited.
The calling rates for Lewis and Clark County are shown below:
Inmate Messaging and Video Visits
You can now video visit your loved one from the comfort of your home, as well as send messages and pictures which is quicker, easier and cheaper than sending letters through the mail. You can fund your Video Visit and Messaging with your current NCIC Inmate Telephone account or if you don’t have an account you can go to www.NCIC.com and set one up. Video Visits are $0.25 per Minute, Messages are $0.25 per Message, Picture Messages & Video Messages are $0.35 each. There is no limit on how many messages and photos can be sent to the inmates and they receive them instantly.
Benefits of setting up an NCIC Prepaid Account:
- One account to manage ALL inmate communications (Phone Calls, Video Visits and Messages)
- Quick and easy account setup
- Funding and support around the clock 24/7/365
To create and fund Prepaid Accounts, please visit NCIC Inmate Communication’s website at: https://account.ncic.com (Para Espanol, https://cuenta.ncic.com ) or call our call center at 1-800-943-2189.
Servicios de comunicación prepagos
NCIC Inmate Communications ofrece el servicio de llamadas prepagadas para amigos y familias que permite a las personas encarceladas mantenerse en contacto con sus seres queridos. No se pueden recibir llamadas entrantes, excepto mensajes de correo de voz a presos aprobados. A cada preso se le dará acceso al teléfono al finalizar el proceso de reserva. Los teléfonos de uso privado se encuentran ubicados en cada área de vivienda.
Las llamadas de los presos (locales y de larga distancia) se facturan a una tarifa por minuto, sin tarifas de conexión. Las llamadas internacionales también se facturan a una tarifa por minuto. Están prohibidas las llamadas de tres vías.
Las tarifas de llamadas para la Oficina del Sheriff del condado de Lewis and Clark se muestran a continuación:
Mensajes de presos y visitas por video
Ahora puede visitar por video a su ser querido desde la comodidad de su hogar, así como enviar mensajes e imágenes, lo cual es más rápido, fácil y económico que enviar cartas por correo. Puede financiar su visita por video y mensajería con su cuenta actual de teléfono para reclusos o, si no tiene una cuenta, puede ir a www.NCIC.com y configurar una cuenta. Las visitas por video cuestan $0.25 por minuto, los mensajes cuestan $0.25 por mensaje y los mensajes con imagen cuestan $0.35 por imagen. No hay límite en la cantidad de mensajes y fotos que se pueden enviar a los reclusos y los reciben al instante.
Beneficios de configurar una cuenta prepaga:
- Una cuenta para administrar TODAS las comunicaciones de los reclusos
- Configuración de cuenta rápida y sencilla
- Financiamiento y soporte las 24 horas del día, los 7 días de la semana, los 365 días del año
Para crear y financiar cuentas de cuentas prepagas, visite el sitio web de NCIC Inmate Communication en: https://account.ncic.com (Para Espanol, https://cuenta.ncic.com ) o llame a nuestro centro de llamadas al 1-800-943 -2189.