Superintendent of Schools
The Office of the Lewis and Clark County Superintendent of Schools performs administrative, financial, legal, record keeping, and transportation-supervisory services for all schools in the county. The office assists school boards, educators, students, parents, and taxpayers in general to understand and implement federal, state and local laws applicable to education. The Superintendent is a liaison between the state and local governmental units.
The Superintendent's office is a central source of information and a distribution center. Official acts are kept on record such as school census information, school district organization, classification and boundary adjustments. Records for preservation include attendance agreements, student enrollment, annual data collection, transportation contracts, election data (trustee, mill levy, bond), final budgets, trustee annual reports, school audits, home school notification, etc.
Superintendent of Schools Katrina Chaney
Katrina has been employed in the educational sector since 1984. She has been privileged to work with schools in six states. She has been working in Lewis and Clark County since 2005. Eight joyful years were spent teaching in the county, as supervising teacher, in a rural, multi-grade school. Katrina is currently in her third term as Lewis and Clark County Superintendent of Schools. Though she is passionate about the three rural schools she supervises, Katrina enjoys her various duties working with all seven districts in the county.
BS -- Oklahoma Christian University, OKC, OK
Major in Family and Consumer Science, minor Business Administration
Teacher certification -- West Texas A & M, Canyon, TX
Elementary Education -- Mathematics
Middle School Teacher -- 6th grade, Moorpark, CA
Elementary Teacher -- 3rd grade, LaCanada, CA
Middle School Teacher -- 6th grade, Cherry Creek Schools, CO
Middle School Teacher -- 7th – 9th grade, Family and Consumer Science, & Mathematics, Farmington, NM
Elementary Teacher -- 5th, 6th, Gifted and Talented, Claremore, OK
Elementary Teacher -- K – 6th, Canyon Creek, MT
Mathematics Department Chair, Claremore, OK
Supervising Teacher, Canyon Creek, MT
Brochure:(PDF, 132KB) Role of the County Superintendent of Schools
Duties of the Office
- Provide administrative oversight and assistance for rural schools, including staff development, curriculum supervision, and teacher evaluation. Serve as attendance officer, resource specialist, policy and financial adviser for rural boards, and representative to multi district boards and service providers.
- Attend school board meetings by request.
- Interpret school laws.
- Provide advice to school districts on financial alternatives.
- Oversee school elections and administer oaths of office.
- Serve as hearings officer for school controversies.
- Register certificates of teachers and administrators.
- Serve as chairperson for the County Transportation Committee, which reviews individual transportation contracts, sets bus routes, certifies bus drivers, and monitors bus inspections.
- Classify school districts, set school boundaries, and process isolation applications.
- Register home schools.
- Review and approve all school budgets, compute revenues, and file final and emergency budgets with Office of Public Instruction.
- Coordinate the flow of information between school clerks and the Office of Public Instruction.
- Set school levies for County Commission approval.
- Review and approve specified state disbursements to school districts.
- Review, approve, and submit specified school reports to Office of Public Instruction.
- Maintain records of official acts; preserve records, reports and documents; and provide information to school districts and the public.
- Reply to all inquiries pertaining to schools and school personnel.
- Provide services to individuals and districts that fall within the scope of state statutes.