Welcome to the Lewis & Clark County Detention Center
The Lewis & Clark County Sheriff's Office was established in 1865. The first Lewis & Clark County Jail was built in 1891 and was located at 15 North Ewing Street, which is now "The Myrna Loy Center" for the performing and media arts. This jail was in use until 1985 when the current Law Enforcement Center was built and located at 221 Breckenridge Street. The Law Enforcement Center has the Lewis & Clark County Detention Center on the second floor and offices on the main floor are shared with the Lewis & Clark County Sheriff's Office and Helena Police Department. The Law Enforcement Center is located next to the Lewis & Clark County Courthouse.
The Lewis & Clark County detention Center is designed to house fifty-four (54) inmates but runs at an average daily population of seventy-six (76). There were 3,075 inmates booked into the detention center during the year of 2010. The detention center is supervised by a Deputy Sheriff Captain and staffed with twenty-two (22) Detention Officers, one (1) Registered Nurse and two (2) Transport Officers