Notice of PVHC Privacy Practices
Print Version (PDF)
The PureView Health Center (PVHC) is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of your health information. We are required by law to maintain the confidentiality of your protected health information. This notice describes how health information about you, as a patient of PVHC, may be used and disclosed, and how you can get access to your health information. This is required by the Privacy Regulations created as a result of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
Uses and disclosures of your protected health information not described in this Notice will only be made with prior written authorization.
Use and Disclosure of Your Health Information in Certain Special Circumstances
We may be required to disclose your health information to the following entities or under the following circumstances:
- To public health authorities and health oversight agencies that are authorized by law to collect information.
- Lawsuits and similar proceedings in response to a court or administrative order.
- If required to do so by a law enforcement official, we may disclose minimum necessary information to comply.
- When necessary to reduce or prevent a serious threat to your health and safety or the health and safety of another individual or the public. We will only make disclosures to a person or organization able to help prevent the threat.
- If you are a member of U.S. or foreign military forces (including veterans) and if required by the appropriate authorities.
- To federal officials for intelligence and national security activities authorized by law.
- To correctional institutions or law enforcement officials if you are an inmate or under the custody of a law enforcement official and the disclosure is necessary to provide health care to you, or to protect the health and safety of you or other individuals.
- For Workers Compensation and similar programs.
Your Rights Regarding Your Health Information
- Communication. You can request that our practice communicate with you about your health and related issues in a particular manner or at a certain location. For instance, you may ask that we contact you at home, rather than work. We will accommodate reasonable requests.
- Requested Restrictions. You can request a restriction in our use or disclosure of your health information for treatment, payment or health care operations. Additionally, you have the right to request that we restrict our disclosure of your health information to only certain individuals involved in your care or the payment for your care, such as family members and friends. We are not required to agree to your request; however, if we do agree, we are bound by our agreement except when otherwise required by law, in emergencies, or when the information is necessary to treat you.
- Inspection. You have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of the health information that may be used to make decisions about you, including patient medical records and billing records, but not including psychotherapy notes. You must submit your request in writing to PVHC Medical Records, 1930 9th Ave., Helena, MT 59601.
- Amendments. You may ask us to amend your health information if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete, and as long as the information is kept by or for our practice. To request an amendment, your request must be made in writing and submitted to PVHC Medical Director, 1930 9th Ave, Helena, MT 59601. You must provide a reason that supports your request for amendment.
- Right to a Copy of This Notice. You are entitled to receive a copy of this Notice at any time. To obtain a copy of this notice, contact PVHC HIPAA Privacy Officer, 1930 9th Ave., Helena, MT 59601.
- Right to File a Complaint. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with PVHC or with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. To file a complaint with our practice, contact PVHC Executive Director, 1930 9th Ave., Helena MT 59601. All complaints must be submitted in writing.
- Right to Notice of Breach. If a breach of our policy protecting your health information is discovered, you have the right to be notified. We will notify you of any breach within 60 days of our discovery of such breach.
- Right to Provide an Authorization for Other Uses and Disclosures. Our practice will obtain your written authorization for uses and disclosures that are not identified by this notice or permitted by applicable law. You may revoke any provided authorization at any time, effective on the date we receive the notice.
- Right to Restrict Disclosure to Insurers. If you choose to self-pay for your PVHC services, you may request that we do not disclose protected health information to your insurers or other third-party payors. We are not required to comply with the request unless you pay in full prior to receiving treatment or services.
- Prohibition on Disclosing Genetic Information for Underwriting Purposes. The disclosure of your genetic information for insurance underwriting purposes is prohibited.
- Disclosures Requiring Written Authorization. Most uses and disclosures of psychotherapy notes (when appropriate), uses and disclosures of protected health information for marketing purposes, and disclosures that constitute a sale of protected health information require a written authorization.
If you have any questions regarding this notice or our health information privacy policies, please contact PVHC HIPAA Privacy Officer, 1930 9th Ave., Helena, MT 59601.