Lewis & Clark Co. Historical Society
Established in 1989 by Jerry Metcalf, Harriett Meloy, Jean Weeks, Lyon Moon, Kathy Macefield, Dennis McCahon, Dick Wall, and others, LCCHS has maintained a History Center in Downtown Helena since 2007. LCCHS lost its lease in December 2015 and is currently working with U.S. Bank to relocate the History Center to 2,000+ sq. ft. of the bank's 302 N. Last Chance Gulch office. The bank's interior is the perfect backdrop for history, with its original Shorty Shope murals and the Broadwater Hotel's "Boy with the Leaky Boot" fountain, ca. 1889. LCCHS is a non-profit 501(c)(3), and its goal is to establish a permanent local history center in Helena.
To preserve elements of the history and prehistory of Lewis & Clark Co., MT, through the proper retention and preservation of artifacts, papers, stories, information, places and images and to employ these elements in a way that illustrates, informs, instructs and delights the people of Lewis & Clark Co. and elsewhere, Furthermore, the Society exists to support, assist and promote the furtherance of other groups appropriately dedicated to a like cause so it may lend its name, its energy and its assembled abilities thereto.
Historic Preservation Officer
316 N. Park Avenue
Helena MT 59623
Helena / Lewis & Clark County History Center
Historic Preservation Awards 2014
National Register of Historic Places
Want to Nominate a Property to the National Register?
National Register of Historic Places Form
Learn More about the National Register in Montana
Sites in Lewis and Clark County on the National Register of Historic Places
Click on Lewis and Clark County on map or in list under map.
Design Guidelines for Improvements in the Downtown Helena Historic District
Design Guidelines: Downtown
Design Guidelines 2: Residential