Pay As You Throw FAQ

1. How many tons of solid waste may I take to the transfer station without being charged?

Answer: 1.5 tons per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30)

2. Where is the City Transfer Station and what are its hours of operation?

Answer:  The City of Helena Transfer Station is located at 1975 N. Benton Avenue in Helena.  It is open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.  and is closed on major holidays.  For questions regarding the Transfer Station operations, please call (406) 447-8082 Option 3.

3. When will I receive my new solid waste permit?

Answer:  Beginning July 1, 2012 the Scratch Gravel/Marysville Solid Waste Districts implemented a 2 year permit which automatically renews on the 2nd year.  Replacement permits will be sent out  the third year on the last week of June and will be effective July 1.

4. What should I do if I do not receive my new solid waste permit in the mail?

Answer:  You can come to the Public Works Administration Office at 3402 Cooney Drive in Helena, or call 447-8037.  We can check to see if your permit was returned to us in the mail, or we can issue you a replacement permit. We will not charge a replacement fee for this permit through the month of July. After July 31st there will be a $5.00 replacement fee.

5. What should I do if I lose my solid waste permit during the year?

Answer:  You can to come to the Public Works Administration Office at 3402 Cooney Drive in Helena.  We will cancel your old permit and issue a replacement permit for your property. You will be charged a $5.00 fee to cancel the old permit and issue the replacement permit.  It is important to cancel your old permit as soon as you realize it is lost.  If someone finds it, they might use it to take their own solid waste to the transfer station and charge it to your property which will be your responsibility if your permit is not canceled immediately.  

6. I have two vehicles I haul my solid waste in, can I get a duplicate permit for my second vehicle?

Answer:  Yes we will issue you a duplicate permit for your property.  You can come to the Public Works Administration Office at 3402 Cooney Drive in Helena.  You will be charged a $5.00 fee for a duplicate permit. The duplicate permit will not give you any more tonnage.

7. When I sell my house, should I give my solid waste permit to the new homeowner?

Answer:  Yes, you can give your permit to the new owner of your house.  However, make sure that your realtor calls Public Works Administration at (406) 447-8037 to get a final bill for any charges you may owe on your account at the time of closing.  If the realtor or title company call us, we will give them the amount owing on your account to be taken out of the closing costs for the property site.

8. If I buy a house and my realtor or title company did not call for an amount owing on the solid waste account, am I responsible for paying the amount due from the previous owner of the property?

Answer:  Yes, because the charges on the solid waste account are for the residential unit on that particular property.  They do not follow the person who has left the house and moved to a new address.  Amounts owing on a solid waste permit account are just like charges on a water or sewer account for a house, they stay with the property and do not follow the person when they move.

9. Does the fee I pay on my tax bill include a collection service for my solid waste?  

Answer:  Residents of the Scratch Gravel Solid Waste District and Marysville Solid Waste Sub-District only pay for disposal of the solid waste they haul to the Transfer Station.  If you want your solid waste collected at your house and taken to the Transfer Station, you must call a collection service.  Look in the Yellow Pages under Garbage Collection and Disposal for businesses that provide collection services in these areas.

10. How accurate is the scale at the Transfer Station?

Answer:  The scale at the Transfer Station weighs in increments of 20 pounds.  This is as accurate as can be expected for a scale of this size.  The scales are certified several times a year for their accuracy.

11.  Am I charged for tons waste, recyclables, tires, Christmas trees, mixed loads of solid waste and recyclables?

Answer:  Yes, the weight of all loads is charged to your solid waste permit account. Although recycling is the environmentally right thing to do, it is more costly than landfilling these items.   There must be a charge to offset the cost of recycling programs.  For questions regarding recycling services, please call the Recycling Line at (406) 447-8084.

12. What can I recycle and where may I take these items?

Answer:  In addition to the City of Helena Transfer Station there are recycling containers located at Independent Record, 2222 Washington St; the Lewis & Clark Fairgrounds, Safeway Store, 611 N Montana, Capitol Hill Mall, 1600 11th Ave, and Dale Harris Park, (near S Park Ave & S Cruse Ave).  The recycling containers at these sites are available 24 hours a day and seven days a week.

To find out what household items may be recycled, or for information about other recycling services, please call the Recycling Line at (406) 447-8084 or click the link below for the map of locations and a list of the types of items you can recycle.

City of Helena Recycle Guide/Map